We are the world’s first commercial spaceline and vertically integrated aerospace company. With our sister company, The Spaceship Company, we are developing and operating a new generation of space vehicles to open space for everyone.
Who we are
Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first publicly funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen – apply today!
Virgin Galactic and the greater Virgin Organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking an experienced procurement professional to plan, control, and supervise the supply chain activities associated with Ground Support Equipment. You will be responsible for strategic sourcing, cost savings, cost avoidance, and value enhancement initiatives to positively impact the procurement and operational functions for Spaceport America and all future locations. As a member of the procurement team, this Category Manager-Ground Support Equipment will contribute to both the short and long-range growth and profitability of the organization. The ideal candidate has a strong background within the aerospace and/or a vehicular maintenance industry.
- Responsible for supporting the strategic sourcing of Ground Support Equipment for the Spaceflight Systems (Spaceship Unity, WhiteKnightTwo, and other support aircraft) of Virgin Galactic.
- Implement and communicate strategic sourcing and category management projects with aligned goals (customer service, quality, cost savings, cost avoidance, on time delivery, efficiencies, etc.).
- A liaison between VG GSE Engineering team and our sister company, TSC LLC, to ensure that supplier agreements contemplate and support the maintenance requirements (spares, tech pubs, service, warranty, etc.)
- Develop negotiation strategies and lead negotiations to support those sourcing initiatives.
- As a customer facing resource, lead projects internally as a ‘sourcing’ consultant for the various effected stakeholders.
- Identify barriers to successful performance within the organization and provide potential solutions for their removal.
- Support inventory management, quality, and total cost of ownership initiatives as required.
- Leverage best practices to drive improved quality, delivery excellence, and continually reduce costs and improve the products and services for our customers.
- Execute strategic goals and objectives in support of the overall company goals and objectives.
- Provides support to ensure compliance with international and U.S. laws related to import/export activity.
What you bring
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a category manager, supply chain manager, or senior buyer is required; At least 3 years’ experience in the support of aerospace, ground support equipment or similar vehicular maintenance categories.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Demonstrates a proven record of exceeding customer expectations. The ability to consult, manage projects, and positively influence customers, peers, and suppliers.
- Strong knowledge of office software skills including MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Understanding of import/export processes including ITAR.
- Practical approach/ leads by example. Happy to be hands on and work closely with cross-functional teams.
- Knowledge of various procurement methods, strategic sourcing, and supply chain practices.
- Subject Matter Expert within the associated categories, marketplaces, indexes, and trends arena.
- Prior demonstrated supervisory, management, and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills (customers, team, management, and suppliers).
- Organized, detail-oriented, and structured approach.
- Incredible energy and passion with a resourceful attitude.
- Self-motivated. Enjoys providing leadership to teams in driving sourcing projects to completion.
- Ability to react to change and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Aerospace Management, MRO, GSE, and Aircraft on Ground (AOG) experience is a plus
- Experience from a start-up environment is highly preferred.
- Strong knowledge of Oracle EBS or MRO maintenance software (we use Ultramain) is preferred. A similar ERP system (SAP, Dynamics, etc.) could substitute.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Materials Logistics Management, or similar is preferred. A Master’s degree would be beneficial.
- CPSM/CPM, CPIM, PMP and/or other similar certifications.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work nights and weekends as needed.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen., lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Req No. 2020-5894