Together we open space to change the world for good
Who we are
Virgin Galactic, www.VirginGalactic.com (NYSE: SPCE), recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet, lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology, and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites us than divides us.
“We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.” -Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen – apply today!
As Director, Propulsion Operations, you will be accountable for all aspects of propulsion operations in support of the Virgin Galactic Space Flight System. You will be the leader of the propulsion support operations engineering and technician teams supporting missions and safety for both rocket motors and air breathing vehicle systems. The vehicles, in the Space Flight System fleet, include Spaceship 2 (VSS Unity), Spaceship 3 (VSS Imagine/Inspire), and Motherships (VMS Eve) and (VMS Dawn). This role will be instrumental in creating and maintaining the necessary infrastructure to safely support 400 manned space flights annually. Significant coordination will be required with Virgin Galactic Space Flight Operations and Safety, as well as with Space Port America.
- Train and manage mission control operations for all propulsion systems
- Oversee all hiring, training and readiness for the propulsion operations team, both engineers and technicians
- Oversee all spacecraft fueling and defueling operations
- Help develop and modernize the necessary facilities and equipment to support the rapid expansion of Virgin Galactic’s space flight operations.
- Lead by example through Virgin Galactic’s values, communicating with respect in a straight-up way fostering transparent, and open communication.
- Apply technical and functional expertise coupled with leadership skills, functional expertise with an unwavering commitment to quality ensuring the successful advancement of human spaceflight
- Work with other company leaders in engineering, manufacturing, and support organizations to facilitate the highest levels of operational readiness and safety.
- Regularly report to executive leadership and the broader organization the status and performance of spaceflight propulsion operations.
What you bring
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or technical discipline from an accredited institution
- Experience with aviation and/or aerospace operations
- 10+ years of industry experience in progressive technical and leadership roles
- Energetic, passionate and organized leader with a commitment to safety above all
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. teammates, as well as newly hired employees.
As of October 1, 2021, all new hires must be able to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19virus, (“fully vaccinated” means at least two week have expired since receiving the vaccination’s last dose as recommended by the manufacturer). If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met be your date of hire. Virgin Galactic complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.
#space #spacecareers #spacejobs #careersinspace #aerospacejobs #engineeringjobs #jobsinspace