Virgin Galactic (“Virgin”) is a vertically-integrated aerospace company pioneering human spaceflight for private individuals and researchers, as well as a manufacturer of advanced air and space vehicles.
Main Purpose of the Role:
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking an experienced Mission Requirements/Risk Management Senior Specialist to establish and maintain mission assurance related products for VG and external customers in support of Space Flight System (SFS) (Spaceship/Mothership) mission operations. The person in this position will use their systems engineering background as well as their expert mission assurance knowledge to work with the greater Space Missions & Safety business unit, systems engineering team and technical operations teams to capture requirements, risks and support mitigation.
The Mission Requirements/Risk Management Senior Specialist should understand and practice the disciplined application of proven scientific, engineering, quality, and management principles working together to achieve mission success. Must be accustomed and able to working with systems engineers, stakeholders and independent assessment groups to ensure mission success.
- Defines and monitors mission requirements/risk management program specifications and processes to ensure mission success of Space Missions & Safety (SM&S) business unit.
- Support VG Operations efforts by providing Mission Requirements/Risk Management subject matter expertise.
- Support risk-based requirements trades.
- Support development and decomposition of requirements to allow flow-down to departments and vendors.
- Drive a holistic approach to Risk Exposure, Tolerance Analysis, and Assurance Strategy that align with mission requirements.
- Develop a proficient system-level mission risk identification and analysis capability.
- Manage assurance verification and validation approach through program lifecycle for SM&S Operations in partnership with Aerospace Systems for current and future vehicles.
- Perform Special Studies as required to support modeling, tool development, performance improvements, and analysis aimed at improving efficiency and value.
- Foster a common approach to mission assurance as well as the establishment of supporting guidance to respond to the risk posture and tailoring needs of individual programs.
- Facilitates assessments of and coordination with enterprise risk management technical program execution and readiness.
- BS in Engineering or a related technical field is required.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in Quality / Mission Assurance with Space Systems/Aviation Systems/Hardware; 10+ years of experience preferred.
- Experience and expertise in continuous process improvements, collaborating and influencing across boundaries while remaining independent
- Experience in Aerospace Manufacturing processes is desired.
- Familiar with flight/mission operations is preferred.
- Proven strategic thinking with background in process development and implementation.
Who we are
Virgin Galactic is transforming humanity’s relationship with space. By making it more open and accessible, we are connecting the world to the love, wonder and awe inspired by space travel, helping to create new opportunities for the benefit of life on Earth. Whether it’s supporting cutting-edge research missions for scientists and students, or offering life-changing experiences for the adventurers among us, Virgin Galactic is THE spaceline for Earth. Such an audacious vision requires a team as driven as they are curious – one capable of redefining the boundaries of what’s possible.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. teammates, as well as newly hired employees. As of October 1, 2021, all new hires must be able to provide proof that they are fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, (“fully vaccinated” means at least two weeks have expired since receiving the vaccination’s last dose as recommended by the manufacturer) or have a valid religious or medical exemption. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met be your date of hire. Virgin Galactic complies with federal, state, and local laws with regard to accommodations related to this policy.