Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism and small satellite launch services with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Virgin Galactic is recruiting two pilots to join its team to support the ongoing flight test program of the current spaceflight system, as well as that of its follow-on vehicles, and commercial spaceflight operations.
Who You Are
The primary responsibilities are test and commercial pilot duties as well as operation of the spaceflight system in accordance with government regulations and company policies and procedures, in order to deliver a sub-orbital spaceflight service to Virgin Galactic Customer-Astronauts, and Science-Research Payload Customers.
Successful applicants will ideally start work in late spring/early summer 2020 and will be based at Spaceport America in New Mexico, working as part of the WhiteKnightTwo and SpaceShipTwo spaceflight system. Some work will also take place from time to time at Mojave, CA as well as at other locations.
In addition to flight duties on WhiteKnightTwo, SpaceShipTwo, and other aircraft, duties will also include flight planning activities, mission control support, the development of training assets, vehicle operations documentation, testing and developing follow-on vehicles, recruitment, record keeping and training obligations, as well as supporting the safety, engineering, maintenance, commercial and marketing teams.
After the start of commercial operations, the role will change from testing and developing the spaceflight system to regularly flying spaceflight missions, and supporting customer hospitality and training.
What you bring
- Must be a US citizen or US person – compliant with ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
- A current FAA commercial (or equivalent) pilot license and FAA Class 1 medical
- Degree level qualification in a relevant technical field
- Graduate of an SETP-recognized test pilot school full (one year) course
- At least 2½ years post-graduate test pilot school flight test experience
- A diverse flying background with a minimum of 3,000 hours flying to include experience of: multi-engine aircraft with asymmetric thrust performance and handling considerations, high performance fast jet aircraft and low lift-to-drag ratio glide experience (e.g. simulated flameout landings) in complex aircraft
- Operational experience of an aerospace aviation project or business
- Excellent, current knowledge on a diverse range of aerospace matters
- Ability to communicate aviation knowledge and safety related information simply, succinctly and clearly
- Previous responsibility for authorizing and implementing policies and procedures to ensure a safe and efficient operation
- Be a proven team player
- Preference will be given to those with experience of:
– Commercial flight operations and customer interaction experience
– Flight instruction
- For otherwise exceptional candidates, some of the above criteria may be reduced.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You must work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You must also communicate clearly and be both confident and persuasive. It is essential that you maintain the highest level of integrity and understand the requirements for complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.