Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking an experienced technical writer with a background in aircraft maintenance and maintenance task analysis. This role is for a hands-on person who pays great attention to detail and possesses good people skills. This is a full-time position located at Virgin Galactic’s base of operations, Spaceport America / Las Cruces, NM.
This position is responsible for writing detailed, concise, and accurate maintenance task cards that will be used by the VG maintenance and inspection teams in order to complete maintenance activities on VG’s flight vehicles, as well as any task cards that are needed to support maintenance activities on ground support equipment.
- Create maintenance work task cards from maintenance planning documents, manufacturer’s service bulletins, Airworthiness Directives, and other engineering data
- Author task cards that provide additional instructions designed to support safe execution of maintenance tasks while ensuring work is completed FOD-free
- Liaise with additional teams to ensure currency and accuracy of tasking instructions, including Safety, Security, Engineering, and others as required
- Ensure all authored task cards contain proper Required Inspection Item (RII) references as may be required by VG policy
- Breakdown a BOM into a usable and understandable parts accountability for each task card as applicable
- Write maintenance task cards in a consistent, clear format compliant with VG requirements and standards
- Enter engineering and maintenance data into the electronic record keeping Maintenance Repair and Overhaul system, Ultramain and Mobile Mechanic
- Interface with VG Maintenance Planning to promote efficiencies in task card planning, packaging, and execution
- Assure all database entries and writing complies with VG requirements and standards
- Assist the VG Technical Publications Team with policy manual authoring, editing, proofreading, and publication
- Assist the VG Technical Publications Team with technical procedure authoring, verification, validation, and other reviews on Spaceflight System, simulator, and Ground Support Equipment assets
What you bring
- Background in commercial or military aircraft maintenance
- 1-3 years of experience in maintenance task analysis
- 1-3 years of experience in technical writing
- Knowledge of aerospace industry technical writing requirements, standards, and specifications
- Skilled in database data entry
- Skilled using Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must be willing to relocate permanently to the Las Cruces, New Mexico area.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Ability to author and edit in SGML, XML, or HTML
- Familiarity with ATA or S1000D technical publications specifications
*The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to sit/stand for extended periods – 10 hours min.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.