Virgin Galactic www.VirginGalactic.com is on track to become the world’s first privately funded commercial space line. It is dedicated to becoming a world leader in sub-orbital commercial space tourism and small satellite launch services with a longer term vision to develop other space technologies that have the potential to open space to significantly more people and users. If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Who You Are:
Virgin Galactic (VG) is seeking a Senior Accountant to join the team. This role will be responsible for performing a portion of the monthly accounting close process and select financial reporting. We are seeking an individual who is pro-active, self-directed and possesses an atypical high quality bar for themselves. If you’re the type of person who obsesses over details and thrives in a collaborative, fast-paced start up environment, Virgin Galactic may be the place for you.
Location: This position will be based in our Downtown Los Angeles location, with frequent travel to our Mojave, CA location.
- Prepare journal entries complete with necessary supporting documentation and schedules
- Prepare account reconciliations for balance sheet accounts on a monthly basis
- Review and record daily cash transactions to the appropriate general ledger accounts
- Assist in performing technical accounting research to determine appropriate treatment for a variety of transactions under US GAAP & IFRS
- Prepare supporting schedules for use in financial statements and footnote disclosures.
- Assist in providing critical financial information to other teammates within and outside of Accounting
- Assist in coordinating the annual financial statement audit and working with our external auditors on various accounting issues as needed
- Perform data extractions and prepare reports to support financial statements
- Assist in general process improvements and process documentation for all facets of the accounting cycle as well as the continued development and documentation of our accounting policies and procedures
- Cultivate internal relations at all levels by providing support and a high level of customer service
- Perform various projects such as research, special projects & analysis as needed
- Ad hoc projects as directed
What you bring
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, CPA or CPA eligible is a plus
- Big 4 experience required
- Minimum 2 years public accounting preferred, or mix of public and private experience
- Strong financial analysis skills
- Possess strong knowledge of accounting rules or the ability to perform research to properly interpret and determine the appropriate accounting treatment for common transactions
- Demonstrated experience with accounting systems and practices. Oracle experience a plus
- Ability to present and explain financial data and analysis to both finance and non-finance audiences
- Strong time management skills essential; Flexible with the ability to multitask
- Proficiency in all MS Office applications, especially Excel
- Must be inquisitive and able to solve problems creatively
- Exemplary written and oral communication skills required
- Creative and proactive, with a keen eye for detail and shows initiative to solve problems and deliver solutions
- Ability to work under pressure and with ‘on the spot’ priority situations in a quick and effective manner
- Able to learn quickly and grasp the project and operational details
- Willingness and ability to travel if required.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The Virgin Galactic organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. You must work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You must also communicate clearly and be both confident and persuasive. It is essential that you maintain the highest level of integrity and understand the requirements for complete confidentiality.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.