At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth.
At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Lead Software Engineer. If you join us in this position, you will assist in the design, development, and deployment of our flight software used for production of the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Lead team members of our flight software development team to develop the flight software for the LauncherOne rocket
- Collaborate with team members of other departments to gather requirements, and address questions related to the flight software
- Mentor and guide team members of the flight software team in the development of software
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- BS in STEM with 5+ years of experience in a Software Engineering role or equivalent
- Expert in Modern C++ (C++ 11 concepts) in an embedded development environment
- Expert in Linux Kernel driver development and Board Support Package development
- Knowledge of embedded systems design
- Proficient with object oriented languages and design patterns
- Expert in using Test Driven Development, preferably using automated unit testing
- Expert in debugging and trouble-shooting techniques
- Knowledgeable in the usage of a collaborative version control system, such as git and stash, in a team development environment
- Experience in using issue tracking systems such as Jira
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too…
- Experience with supervising or leading other individuals
- Experience with Jenkins
- Experience in production environment following agile practices and light weight software development methods
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’, but work well as a Team Player
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.