The premier dedicated small satelite launch service
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as Senior Mission Design Engineer. If you join us in this position, you will assist in the mission design and trajectory modeling for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Perform mission and vehicle trade studies based on recommendations from the business development team and the chief engineer.
- Work in tandem with the GNC team to help design trajectories that satisfies practical flight constraints.
- Engage in full cycle mission analysis going from 3DOF trajectory design to 6DOF Monte-Carlo analysis.
- Develop engineering tools for mission and vehicle performance analysis.
- Assist in the process of automating the trajectory design process.
- Develop tools and trajectory decks for on-orbit maneuvers.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place.
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace Engineering or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- 3+ years of experience in designing and optimizing launch vehicle trajectories.
- Strong grasps of the fundamentals of orbital mechanics.
- Direct experience in atmospheric flight dynamics.
- Worked with tools such as POST, OTIS, TAOS and SORT.
- Strong theoretical grasp of numerical methods of optimization.
- Experience in vehicle performance sensitivity analysis with the ability to carry out first order vehicle performance and trajectory calculations.
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement.
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team.
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness.
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Expert level knowledge of Matlab.
- Ability to write in scripting languages (python, pearl, bash)
- Perform launch vehicle trade studies.
- Working knowledge of optimization.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’