At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Help Virgin Orbit build “impossible” parts quickly, efficiently, and then send them to space!
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Propulsion Advanced Manufacturing Engineer. If you join us in this position, you will be responsible for leading in the development of cutting edge manufacturing technologies to build rocket engine hardware faster, cheaper, and better than ever before. This work includes opportunities for design, manufacturing process development, and hardware functional testing to support the Propulsion department. You will also help draft procedures for the purposes of transitioning Directed Energy Deposition (DED) additive R&D hardware to flight qualification. This role will report to the Propulsion Advanced Manufacturing manager. You will need great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Develop and qualify rocket engine manufacturing techniques on some of the largest and most capable DED metal additive/hybrid CNC systems in the world.
- Work in tandem with Production Engineering to bridge the gap between R&D and Flight hardware by establishing the processes necessary to flight certify uniquely manufactured propulsion components.
- Support ongoing efforts to streamline development manufacturing responsiveness
- Advise fellow engineers on design for manufacturing decisions including modeling and drawing best practices.
- Foster an environment within Virgin Orbit that emphasizes safe and thorough execution of new manufacturing processes for both personnel and machine tools.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- 3+ years of operating, programming, and/or troubleshooting 5-axis CNC machines
- Experience in reading, interpreting, and editing machine code for multi-axis CNC machines
- A solid understanding of GD&T practices and how they can be best harnessed to optimize manufacturability of designs
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 4 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Familiarity with Siemens Sinumerik 840d CNC systems
- Experience in CAM software for multi-axis CNC machines (Siemens-based preferred)
- Experience in CAD modeling
- Understanding of advantages and disadvantages of various aerospace-grade metal alloys commonly used for space launch vehicles
- Strong ability to quickly turnaround competently written technical reports for consumption of other team members
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.