At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Aerodynamics Engineer to take a proactive role in designing our next launch vehicle. In this role you will predict and mitigate aerodynamic environments while providing design solutions. If you are pro-active, self-directed, hands-on, and thrive in a collaborative and fast paced start-up environment, please apply! This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Building Computational Fluid Dynamic meshes for aerodynamic force and moment predictions
- Analysis of launch vehicle and carrier aircraft external Aerodynamics using multiple toolsets from low to high fidelity
- Correlation of Flight Test Data to CFD Models
- Analyze wind tunnel test data to identify anomalies
- Select proper sensor and data acquisition systems for capturing aerodynamic data and model correlation
- Present analytical results to technical community and recommend design enhancements/improvements
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline
- Minimum of 2+ years of industry experience or related field
- Experience and proficiency working with commercial and/or proprietary CFD, heat transfer, and other modeling and simulation tools such as StarCCM+, FUN3D, LOCI-CHEM
- Knowledge of Thermal Modeling and Simulation tools such as Thermal Desktop
- Computer programming skills such as Matlab, Python, or Visual Basic
- Clear communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Masters of Science degree in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline plus 5 years of experience
- Experience with Wind Tunnel Testing
- Experience with Aerodatabase Development
- Experience with Aerodynamic Uncertainty Quantification
- Experience with Unsteady and Transient Aerodynamic Simulations is a plus
- Experience with StarCCM steady-state and transient simulations
- Knowledge of CFD best practices
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.