WE ARE ON A MISSION TO OPEN SPACE FOR EVERYONE
Who we are
VOX Space is seeking a new member of our team to serve as a Senior Systems Engineer. If you join us in this position, you will be responsible for contributing to the technical execution of missions and programs for VOX Space customers, and support business development activities under the direction of Systems Engineering Management. The ideal candidate will be proficient at working at a systems level while providing expertise in structural design, analysis, and dynamics. Current and/or recent hands-on experience with design and analysis of payload stacks for space launch missions is strongly desired. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail, strong oral/written communication skills, and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at VOX Space’s office in El Segundo, California, requiring periodic travel to Virgin Orbit’s rocket factory in Long Beach, California.
- Assist the Mission Manager and Lead Systems Engineer with technical execution of missions and programs for VOX Space customers, serving as the primary engineering focal for mission requirements and exchange of technical information with VOX Space customers
- Work proactively and collaboratively with the Mission Manager and customer to identify, track, mitigate, and resolve technical/programmatic issues that may arise during execution
- Excel at supporting multiple missions and programs—and managing your time among them
- Work with technical counterparts in customer community and at VOX Space subcontractors
- Assist with the development of design, integration, and test processes, procedures, and configurations for mission payload stacks in concert with other engineering disciplines
- Provide expertise in structural design/analysis, Computer Aided Design (CAD), and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) tools and methods in support of mission/program execution and business development activities
- Present design/analysis results to technical community and mission/program customers and stakeholders
- Recommend product/process enhancements to improve the VOX Space service offering
- Consistently provide a positive image of VOX Space to our customer community
- Constantly learn new things beyond your core areas of expertise—and share them with your team members
- Help VOX Space do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related engineering discipline, plus a minimum two years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with design and static/dynamic analysis of mission payload stacks for space launch vehicles
- Expertise in Computer Aided Design (CAD) using industry tools such as NX, CATIA, SolidWorks, and/or AutoCAD
- Expertise in Finite Element Analysis (FEA) using industry tools such as FEMAP, PATRAN, NASTRAN, and/or ANSYS
- Working knowledge of Python and/or MATLAB computer programming languages
- Clear written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to self-direct, go beyond your job description, and thrive in a fast-paced team environment with a generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Passion for VOX Space’s mission to enable responsive launch for U.S. national security
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Master’s or Ph.D. Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related engineering discipline
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software, e.g., Teamcenter
- Familiarity with Coupled Loads Analysis (CLA) and dynamic environments analysis (including random vibration and mechanical shock)
- Familiarity with vibration/mechanical shock isolation or mitigation techniques
- Familiarity with hardware test program requirements captured in industry standards including SMC-S-016, NASA-STD-7001, NASA-STD-7002 and GSFC-STD-7000
- Working knowledge of structural design criteria including strength, stability, and fatigue
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
- Position requires you have a current SSBI completed within the past 5 years.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
The VOX Space organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. A sense of humor doesn’t hurt. You will be helping to start VOX Space from the ground up, so you will be flexible in day-to-day work assignments. You will work well under customer time pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have the highest level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
VOX Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with VOX Space is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.