At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Tool Design Engineer, Senior, to join the LauncherOne rocket team. If you join us in this position, you will assist in Aerospace composite and metallic part tooling definition and development. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a 3-month contract position at the rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Provide tooling solutions for all aspects of composite structures production, including tooling, laminating, drilling, routing/trimming, bonding, and assembly processes.
- Responsible for developing tooling concepts required for manufacturing and for coordinating with the tooling team on design and fabrication.
- Assist manufacturing engineers in defining assembly processes.
- Provide technical expertise into the design of the components and assemblies to maximize quality level, minimize cost, and achieve rate targets.
- Input to the production layout of the process in the facility, continually analyzing and planning workflow, space requirements and equipment layout.
- Provide specifications, evaluation and implementation of new capital equipment for the production processes.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place.
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members.
What you bring
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field, or High school diploma or GED with certifications plus equivalent years of experience within aerospace, mechanical or similar field.
- Experience with Teamcenter, Siemens NX and Oracle is a plus.
- Experience with new part introduction for composite structures; including trimming, drilling, structural bonding, and assembly processes.
- Expertise in composite manufacturing processes, such as; manual layup, fiber placement, winding, bulk and sheet molding, bonding, co-curing, co-bonding, bagging and curing, oven and autoclave operation, and composite repairs.
- Good at freehand concept sketching to clearly communicate your ideas
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement.
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
Skills We Value
- Effective verbal communication with internal departments and external vendors. Written communication with correct spelling and grammar.
- Familiar with the use of PFMEAs to reduce risk to the manufacturing process.
- Formal GD&T training or certification, effective use to control costs and ensure quality.
- Good at freehand concept sketching for clearly communicating your ideas.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.