At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization.
Who we are
We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) s seeking an experienced CNC Machinist to produce machined parts at the new Long Beach manufacturing facility. The ideal candidate will be an experienced CNC machinist capable of operating multi-axis CNC mills, lathes and manual machines. Parts fabricated on these machines will vary widely in material, complexity, and tolerance requirements. This role will support current machining development efforts and future production volume requirements. Must be comfortable working in a cross-functional team including engineering, quality and manufacturing. The ability to critically assess designs for acceptable manufacturability is important along with excellent communication skills to assist engineering with input to drive to a high quality lower cost component. The ideal person for this role must be able to quickly produce quality hardware with minimal support and with significant attention to detail.
- Set-up and operate CNC Manual mills and lathes
- Capable of holding tight tolerances associated with the machining of precision parts
- Responsible for running one or more machines/machining centers
- Ability to update CNC programs based on data from quality and other sources
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and specifications.
- Assist with machine shop set-up and maintenance
- Ability to deburr varying materials
- Experience with using standard inspection tools
- Support inspection of parts to ensure accuracy, including multiple alloys
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
Shift Differential: No
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Certification related to Machining or Machine Tool Technology or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3+ years of experience as a CNC machinist role is required.
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience as a CNC machinist role is preferred
- DMG Mori Lathe, with Celos control, experience strongly preferred
- Works with CNC programmers and other team members to optimize and standardize CNC programs
- Experience machining large parts a plus
- Ability to troubleshoot CNC programs for issues and errors
- Experienced with ERP systems
- Creative problem solver, able to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, and leadership skills
- Ability to work in both R&D and production rate environments
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Search all of our job openings— www.VirginOrbit.com
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.