At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a HITL Test Engineer. This position will be responsible for the development and operation of Hardware-In-The-Loop (HITL) testing all of the avionics components (including valves and regulators) on LauncherOne. A great opportunity to bring your deep component-level knowledge and experience, and learn the system-level design and operation of LauncherOne. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at Virgin Orbit’s rocket factory in Long Beach, California.
- Provide extensive engineering expertise in the area of the development and operation of HITL test systems to support the production verification of avionics components and systems, and their qualification for our launch vehicles.
- Assist in the development of verification plans (including test plans and test procedures) that will support launch vehicle qualification, production test, verification, mission simulation and fault handling needs.
- Develop software for automated production test and simulated mission testing.
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- BS in Electrical, Computer, Aerospace or comparable Engineering in a related field
- 3+ years of experience in test, hardware simulators or system level simulation
- 3+ years of direct HITL engineering test experience
- National Instruments LabVIEW experience
- National Instruments PXI Hardware experience
- Solid understanding of instrumentation, interfaces and sensors including DMMs, DAQ, Power Supplies, Oscilloscopes, and other lab equipment
- Working knowledge of communication protocols and instrumentation hardware abstraction layers such as GPIB, Ethernet, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, UDP, IVI, DAQmx, NI-Switch.
- Hands-on hardware integration experience including installation of components and harness, and troubleshooting components, harnesses and sensors (including acceleration, pressure, acoustic, strain, position and thermal sensors)
…and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Demonstrable Matlab & Simulink experience
- Certified LabVIEW Developer accreditation
- National Instruments Veristand experience
- 3+ years of design experience with respect to test racks (electrical and mechanical)
- 1+ years of design experience with respect to electronics components
- Familiarity with wire harness routing design within a CAD environment
- Ability to communicate across all levels and disciplines
- Experience with Source Code Control
- Experience with a defect tracking database
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.