At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Lead IT Systems Administrator to help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly expanding infrastructure. You will be part of a talented team that demonstrates superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Design, implementation, and support of enterprise systems and applications
- Ongoing evaluation for system related process improvements
- Develop solutions to meet business requirements
- Manage and monitor installed systems and infrastructure
- Proactively ensure the highest levels of systems and infrastructure availability
- Monitor and test application and infrastructure performance for potential bottlenecks, identify possible solutions, and work with developers to implement those fixes
- Maintain security, backup, and redundancy strategies
- Participate in the design of information and operational support systems
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things – and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- At least 10 years of experience administering enterprise IT systems.
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Windows Server systems in an enterprise environment.
- Expert level skills with all Microsoft Enterpise products (e.g., Server, Exchange, SQL, SCCM, etc.)
- Expert level skills with enterprise storage systems (e.g., NetApp, EMC, Nimble, etc.)
- Expert level skills with virtualization and containerization (e.g., VMware, Hyper V, KVM)
- Fundamental knowledge of Network Engineering, Information Security, VOIP and IP Video encoding and transport.
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Expert level Microsoft certifications (e.g. MCSE, MCITP)
- High School diploma or GED required
- Security certification (CISSP, GSEC, etc) a plus
- Strong work ethic and a self-starter
- Eagerness to learn
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a “one person team”
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Req No. 2020-5882