The Premier Dedicated Small Satellite Launch Service
Who we are
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Material Planner to plan for materials required for our LauncherOne program. As such, a background in aerospace is quite advantageous. This role is responsible for reviewing mBOM, the release of material requirements via Oracle MRP system, manual planning for unplanned activities, plan for capacity, ensure that the inputs of the MRP are accurate, as well as a review of inventory positions to ensure that the materials are available for production in a timely manner. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail, analytical, and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at Virgin Orbit’s aerospace facility in Long Beach, California.
- Coordinate planning decisions from end-users, production, and information from suppliers to reduce material shortages
- Analyze, manage, forecast, and schedule material requirements using Oracle MRP system
- Identify alternative material management strategies where MRP based solutions may not be optimal
- Analyze, investigate, and assure the accuracy of the MRP action messages
- Maintain and perform a detailed analysis of planning metrics and reports
- Coordinate with cross-functional business teams to develop the best economic strategy for demand planning to support production
- Participate in company initiatives and contribute to continuous process improvements
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- 2- 5 years of planning or supply chain experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify issues and generate solutions
- Proficient computer skills (MS Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to be flexible, multi-task, and have strong organizational skills to meet strict deadlines
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to the improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be willing to work long hours, and occasional weekends as needed
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too…
- APICS certification
- Experience in implementation of an ERP/MRP system
- Experience with SQL databases and queries
- Experience with Oracle or other major planning software
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, cross-functional environment with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform complex tasks, as well as analyze and solve problems
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men.
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.