At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Sr. Mission Manager. If you join us in this position, you will be responsible for the technical execution of primary and rideshare missions for a Virgin Orbit customers that have purchased a launch for their respective spacecraft. This position will work with the customer, mission managers and the engineering/production teams to ensure program execution of the customers’ mission reliably and on schedule. Further, the customer experience is premier in the fulfillment of a mission. As many of our missions aggregate several different customers, this position will be working with multiple customers and engaging across the mission management and technical teams for optimal mission execution for the primary and rideshare customers for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Develop an execution plan for executing a mission for a Virgin Orbit customer.
- Work with the customer to mitigate and resolve technical and programmatic issues that arise.
- Interface with internal engineering and production teams to ensure on-time execution on the mission.
- Provide information to Virgin Orbit management on the status of programs.
- Be able to support multiple programs and manage between programs.
- Work with both technical and business counterparts in the customer community.
- Represent Virgin Orbit in public events as needed.
- Provide feedback to engineering and production teams on products and processes to improve the Virgin Orbit’s service offering.
- Work closely with Business Development to coordinate mission’s activities with overall business activities.
- Provide support for new customer programs as needed; both on technical and business topics.
- Negotiate with the customer and third parties as needed on contractual and technical issues.
Provide a positive image of Virgin Orbit to the customer community.
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- BS degree in Engineering
- MS degree in Engineering a plus
- Minimum of 5 years professional relevant working experience in the Aerospace & Defense industry.
- Must have a technical background and be adept at working and solving technical issues.
- Must have business acumen to deal with contractual issues with customers. Related is that prior experience with business issue resolution is required.
- Excellent communication skills to deal with the customer at the working and management level as well as internal engineering and production teams.
and you should probably have a bunch of these, too…..
- Prior experience executing spacecraft mission’s for a launch service company.
- Prior spacecraft technical experience.
- Strong contract negotiation skills
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.