The Premier Dedicated Small Satellite Launch Service
Who we are
At Virgin Orbit, we are launching the small satellite revolution, enabling missions that were previously unimaginable. We are delivering Virgin’s legendary customer experience by combining advanced technology with a diligent, hard-working team. We have built a workplace and a workforce of the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today are launching the industries of tomorrow. We have engaged a diverse and inclusive community of doers and dreamers alike, empowering all those working today to build satellites and constellations that will change the world.
At Virgin Orbit, we are opening space for good.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Principal Propulsion Engineer to drive continual excellence into our rocket engine injectors and our team.
If you join us in this position, you will “Do and Guide”- you will dive in and get your hands dirty as a direct contributor, but you will also mentor and enable the next class of capable combustion devices engineers.
You will provide technical guidance for a diverse team through requirements and concepts, detailed design and manufacturing trade studies, mechanical and fluid/thermal analyses, engineering release, development & test support, and data reduction & performance modeling. You will solve tough problems from concept to flight across both the 1st and 2nd stage engines of LauncherOne, and you will enable future capabilities. You will team with Engine Managers and our Advanced Manufacturing team to make things happen and keep newer and better hardware continually flowing into test stands and flight.
This role is for a hands-on engineer with meticulous attention to detail and excellent people skills. We want that rare breed who can step back and see the big picture, then tunnel into the deepest nuance with the team and execute. The candidate must be excited about mentoring and training. The ideal candidate would demonstrate prior experience in mechanical design, fluid/thermal analysis, manufacturing development, and test or flight support.
This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Provide technical guidance across the full product lifecycle of rocket engine injectors – requirements and concepts to flight data review
- Team with fellow combustion devices engineers, M&P, engines groups, and production to make the best possible hardware
- Coordinate closely across the engineering, production, and operations organizations
- Enable an ever-increasing launch cadence through design for rate
- Solve tough problems in design, analysis, manufacturing, and test – and teach others how to do the same
- Provide organizational focus both to sustaining engineering and new development efforts of rocket engine combustion devices
- Ensure technical rigor always and enable the technical maturation of new propulsion designs across the launch vehicle—faster than ever
- Participate in trade studies, concepts evaluation, and system sizing for future stages and rockets
- Take ownership in product deliverables and meet commitments to maintain critical program schedules
- Establish analytical methods and tools with greater capability and automation
- Motivate a diverse team to take pride in hard work done well
- Get the job done – fly increasingly capable designs
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Perform other duties assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering required
- Demonstrated success in combustion devices design, analysis, and hardware development
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as leader of an integrated team
- Understanding of the design elements of various injector types, flow conditioning elements, manifolds, and mechanical seals
- Ability to review low speed and high speed combustion data to verify requirements, decipher trends, anticipate issues, and identify opportunities for improvement
- Rigorous attention to detail
- Must be a U.S. person as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability and desire to perform in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Self-driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement, inter-team communication skills, and attention to detail
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Familiarity with all or some of the following software packages: Teamcenter, NX, ANSYS, Matlab, SINDA/FLUINT
- Experience in low cost commercial space system ventures desired
- Experience and comfort in both development and production manufacturing environment desired
- Experience in rocket engine test and flight operations desired
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men.
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.