The Premier Dedicated Small Satellite Launch Service
Who we are
At Virgin Orbit, we are launching the small satellite revolution, enabling missions that were previously unimaginable. We are delivering Virgin’s legendary customer experience by combining advanced technology with a diligent, hard-working team. We have built a workplace and a workforce of the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today are launching the industries of tomorrow. We have engaged a diverse and inclusive community of doers and dreamers alike, empowering all those working today to build satellites and constellations that will change the world.
At Virgin Orbit, we are opening space for good.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Sr. Payload Thermal Analyst. If you join us in this position, you will partner with Responsible Engineers by performing in-depth thermal analysis, developing complex models and proposing alternative designs in support of our LauncherOne small satellite program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Analyze proposed payload configurations to predict thermal environment during the entire mission operation. Recommend acceptance and qualification limits for all payloads, dispensers, and separation systems.
- Design, analyze, and recommend thermal solutions to meet temperature requirements
- Assist in the development of manufacturing, integration, and test processes and procedures.
- Support Launch and mission operations.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Perform other duties assigned
What you bring
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical, Aerospace Engineering or related discipline plus a minimum of 4 years of professional work experience in the aerospace industry; Masters of Science degree
- Experience building models and performing analysis with Thermal Desktop and SINDA.
- Familiarity with thermal / thermal vacuum testing.
- Computer programming skills such as Matlab, Python, or Visual Basic.
- Clear communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and with minimal supervision.
- Must be a U.S. person as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
- Must be able to work varying hours/shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 15lbs (unassisted).
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Ability and desire to perform in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement, inter-team communication skills, and attention to detail.
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit.
Skills We Value
- Familiarity with common industry standards such as SMC-S-016, MIL-STD-810, DO-160, NASA-STD-7002 and GSCF-STD-7000.
- Experience with NX, Teamcenter, and ANSYS.
- Excellent organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, and leadership skills.
- Creative problem solver, able to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’.
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team.
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men.
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.