At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Who we are
VOX Space, LLC is a US-incorporated, wholly-owned subsidiary of Virgin Orbit, LLC. VOX Space provides the national security community of the USA and allied nations with responsive, dedicated, and affordable launch services for small satellites bound for Low Earth Orbit. Headquartered in El Segundo, California, VOX Space can provide study, analysis, integration, and launch services using Virgin Orbit’s LauncherOne, while ensuring our customer’s critical information is protected.
VOX Space is seeking a Mission Manager, Senior. S/he will be responsible for the execution of missions for VOX Space customers that have purchased launch services on LauncherOne. This position will work with customers as well as engineering, operations and production teams to ensure program execution of the customers’ missions reliably and on schedule. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at the VOX Space facility in El Segundo, CA.
- Work with the Mission/Program Manager to develop execution plans for executing missions for VOX Space customers
- Work with the customer to mitigate and resolve technical and programmatic issues that arise
- Interface with internal engineering and production teams to ensure on-time mission execution
- Provide information to VOX Space management on the status of missions
- Be able to support multiple missions and manage between missions
- Work with both technical and business counterparts in the customer community
- Represent VOX Space in public events as needed
- Provide feedback to engineering, operations and production teams on products and processes to improve the VOX Space service offering
- Work closely with Business Development to coordinate mission activities with overall business activities
- Provide support for new customer programs as needed; both on technical and business topics
- Negotiate with the customer and third parties as needed on contractual and technical issues
- Provide a positive image of VOX Space to the customer community
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- BS degree in Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years professional relevant working experience in the Aerospace & Defense industry
- Must have a technical background and be adept at working and solving technical issues
- Must have excellent communication skills to interface with the customer at the working and management level as well as internal engineering, operations and production teams
- The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- MS degree in Engineering a plus
- Prior experience executing spacecraft missions for a launch service company
- Prior spacecraft technical experience
- Prior project management experience
- Prior experience interfacing with customers
- Strong business acumen
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Up to 25% domestic and international travel will be required for this role. Candidate will require a valid passport
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen
- Current TS//SCI clearance strongly preffered
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizenas defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
Position requires you have a current clearance, or are able to pass an appropriate background check and polygraph test for a TS//SCI.
The VOX Space organization has a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door,” be a self-starter and possess a sense of humility. A sense of humor doesn’t hurt. You will be helping VOX Space grow, so you will be flexible in day-to-day work assignments. You will work well under customer time pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have the highest level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
VOX Space is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with VOX Space is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.