The Premier Dedicated Small Satellite Launch Service
Who we are
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth.
At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Senior IT Systems Administrator (Linux). If you join us in this position, you will help build out, maintain, and troubleshoot our rapidly expanding infrastructure. You will be part of a talented team that demonstrates superb technical competency, delivering mission critical infrastructure and ensuring the highest levels of availability, performance and security. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills.
This is a Full-Time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Serve as the technical expert responsible for implementation, installation, operation and maintenance of VO’s Linux Debian operating system.
- Establish system specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing system infrastructure.
- Establish system by planning and executing the selection, installation, configuration, and testing of PC and server hardware, software, operating and system management systems; defining system and operational policies and procedures.
- Maintains system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, networks and operating and system management systems; designing and running system load/stress testing; escalating application problems to vendor.
- Secures system by developing system access, monitoring, control, and evaluation; establishing and testing disaster recovery policies and procedures; completing back‐ups; maintaining documentation.
- Responsible for the installation, maintenance and back-up of Linux servers
- Document disaster recovery plans for all Linux servers, and preforms simulated test cases to validate the approach.
- Upgrades system by conferring with vendors and services; developing, testing, evaluating, and installing enhancements and new software
- Meets financial requirements by submitting information for budgets; monitoring expenses.
- Assist users to resolve computer hardware and/or software problems.
- Provide quick response to ensure maximum uptime of all users and systems.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What you bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or in “STEM” Majors (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)
- Minimum of 5 years of direct experience in IT system administration, including network hardware configuration, network maintenance, experience with system administration, developing standards, LAN knowledge and proxy servers, in corporate environment
- Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Linux Server systems in an enterprise environment
- Thorough understanding of Linux operating systems (specifically Debian distributions of Linux)
- Working knowledge of database’ and web servers including MySQL, PHP, FTP, SSH, DNS, PostGRE, etc.
- VCS: SVN, Git; Java/Tomcat scripting; HPC: Slurm, PMI/MPI
- Solid working knowledge of security best practices; Encryption, System hardening and Patching/CVE remediation
- Experiene maintaining and carrying out backup and recovery strategies, database backups and data lifecycle management; as well as 3rd party recovery confirmations
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
- Valid CA driver’s license required with clean driving record
- Must be able to provide proof of US-approved Covid-19 full vaccination status, unless otherwise exempted by an approved reasonable medical or religious accommodation from Virgin Orbit.
Skills we Value
- Certifications or experience within aerospace, aviation or automotive is highly preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, and leadership skills.
- Creative problem solver, able to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space.
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team.
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men.
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.