At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
The Virgin Orbit (VO) Rocket Propulsion Test team is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Stainless Steel Pipefitter.
This is a 6-month contract position at our rocket propulsion test facility in beautiful Mojave, California.
- 1st Shift (6am-2pm)
- Overtime eligible
- Perform multi-discipline pipefitting capabilities to modify, repair, assemble, maintain and install test stand and ground maintenance equipment in support of VO’s LauncherOne small satellite ground service equipment and test stands.
- Work with and provide input to welders, technicians and engineers to improve part manufacturability.
- Fit, assemble and fabricate stainless steel piping, tubing and associated brackets and tools on various small to large-scale structures and assemblies.
- Perform tasks and work per written procedures and work instructions.
- Install and assemble custom and off-the-shelf tools and machinery used to put together engine test stands (includes process piping, building service piping, pneumatics, and hydraulics).
- Use proper PPE when working around test articles. Proper PPE general requirements includes: Eye and face protection, head protection, foot protection, hand and body protection, hearing protection and body harness-personal fall arrest systems (PFAS) and position device systems.
- Assist with hands-on metal parts, metallic processing, including cutting, jigging, milling and using a lathe, etc.
- Structural Materials: high quality stainless steels and aerospace grade aluminum alloys, light gagestainless steel, Inconel, Cobalt, and Titanium Engine Components.
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members.
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What you bring
- High school diploma or GED
- 2+ years of pipefitting xperience working with one or more of the following materials: Stainless Steel, Carbon Steel and/or Aluminum.
- Current certification and licenses.
- Sufficient understanding of the functional operation of aerospace or aviation structures or test equipment, in order to make minor modifications if necessary.
- Ability to work from complex and detailed blueprints and/or verbal and written instructions with minimal supervision.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement, inter-team communication skills, and attention to detail.
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team.
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness.
- Must be able to work varying hours/shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed.
Skills We Value
- Strong mathematical, basic computer, problem solving and decision-making skills, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Check work after completion of each operation in job and/or completed job to ensure it is complete per drawing.
- Ability to use metrology equipment to measure parts such torque wrenches and scales,
- Ability to work in both R&D and production rate environments.
- Experience operating forklifts, cranes and other heavy equipment.
- Ability and desire to perform in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment.
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. unassisted, lifting, standing, climbing, bending, grasping, sitting, pulling, pushing, stooping, stretching, and carrying are generally required to perform the functions of this position.
- Ability to work in a high-concentration, high-stress environment with prolonged mental concentration and acute attention to detail.
- General physical fitness is required for some work areas, tight quarters and physical dexterity is required.
- Occasionally exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain, etc. and work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise.
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.