At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination. Search all of our job openings on our career portal.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a Lead Engineer, Test Operations to help direct test site design, analysis, fabrication, integration, and operation for systems associated with an air launched rocket. Project management, including execution to forecasted schedule and budget, of Ground Support Equipment for various commodities, and support in executing a variety of non-recurring and recurring test operations will be part of this full time role in Mojave, California.
Occasional travel (~20%) to other sites, such as company headquarters in Long Beach, California, or remote alternate test locations will be required.
- Knowledge of aerospace vehicles’ design principles, processes, and tools, including company and industry standards and practices.
- Solid understanding of basic test stand fluid hardware for inert, hazardous, and cryogenics (i.e. valves, regulators, pumps, etc.)
- Be part of a test team on console in real-time operations.
- Familiarity with architectures, implementation, and recurring use of instrumentation, data acquisition, and real-time control.
- Contributes to the design and development of new test facilities.
- Works in field to assemble test stands and prepare test articles.
- Coordinates with technicians and engineers to prepare facilities for testing.
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- 8+ years of experience in aerospace testing or related integrated operations.
- Bachelors in Engineering + at least 5 years of relevant experience preferred.
- Knowledge of gas and liquid rocket systems or pressurized system manufacturing processes and test & integration procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent Organizational Skills and problem-solving skills.
- Strong team player.
- Excellent computer skills, Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Req No. 2020-5884