The Premier Dedicated Small Satellite Launch Service
At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth. At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member of our team to serve as a Propulsion Test Engineer (Mojave). If you join us in this position, you will be a part of the test operations team, supporting the development and production of newton rocket engines and LauncherOne launch vehicles for the LauncherOne small satellite launch program. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Mojave, California.
- Plan and conduct test operations to support rocket testing activity
- Support design and flow of activity on the test site
- Work with internal and external teams to ensure hardware gets built and implemented on time and meets build requirements
- Suggest and incorporate changes in design to improve manufacturability, error-proofing, ergonomic handling, efficiency, and production
- Be hands-on with the initial builds supporting the implementation of tools onto the test site
- Provide support to root cause build issues in development, test, and production
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s degree in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related STEM field
- At least 2 years of experience in the operation, design, and development of fluid systems, test hardware, and facilities
- Experience operating complex, potentially hazardous fluid systems
- Creative problem solver, able to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Ability to work in both R&D and production rate environments
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, and leadership skills
- Excellent organizational skills and problem-solving skills
- Experience with NX and Teamcenter
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, the applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson, “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence, and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.