At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth.
At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a talented Electrical Systems Integration Engineer position to help develop and integrate the avionics system for a brand new launch vehicle. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Passionate and creative problem solver that thrives in fast-paced environment
- Be a multitasker with strong sense of accountability, integrity and team focus
- Own and maintain the electrical system configuration
- Study system level electrical requirements and create tests procedures
- Conduct tests to validate the built electrical system configuration against design
- Support the sub-system functional requirements verification during rocket build
- Interface with engineers and technicians from many disciplines such as Production, HITL and Systems engineering to optimize proposed designs for integration, testing, and manufacturability
- Participate in wire harness design reviews to ensure compatibility with system design
- Study electrical loads and other system requirements to select/validate wiring
- Conduct feasibility studies for requested features before confirming functional requirements
- Maintain detailed schedules that support overall product schedules and properly communicate status to management
- Create and update technical documentation, test plans, and test results
- Support prototype builds through rapid prototyping of wire harnesses, troubleshooting prototypes, and other similar activities
- Work on a team to complete projects with high quality while maintaining schedules
- Experience with scripting/automation using Python / Matlab / Visual Basisc
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent with experience in electrical system design, or related field of study
- Experience with electrical system architecture design is required
- Prior experience in turning high-level requirements into clear design/test objectives
- Strong electrical systems engineering intuition and critical thinking.
- Clear understanding of the common architecture sensor like RTDs, PTs, Accelerometers etc.
- Read and understand Electrical schematics
- Hands-on experience using electrical test equipment (multimeters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.).
- Knowledge of MIL 38999 standards, Nasa 8739.4 or equivalent specs
- Voltage de-rating analysis
- Experience with 3D CAD, mechanical design
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.