At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth.
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as the Ground Support Equipment (GSE) Manager. If you join us in this position, you will manage preventative maintenance and upgrades for our 1st and 2nd Stage rocket engine test stands, used for our LauncherOne small satellite launch program. The GSE Manager will have a major role at Virgin Orbit’s Mojave LauncherOne test facilities located at the Mojave Air and Spaceport. This role reports to the Director of Test Operations.
The GSE Manager is expected to develop and maintain a rigorous preventative maintenance program, leading a team of highly motivated and skilled engineers and technicians to keep GSE ready for engine testing at all times. Additionally, this role requires the supervision of ongoing test stand upgrades while coordinating with the Test Operations Manager, Test Site Manager, and Director of Test Operations. Keeping pace with Virgin Orbit’s development and production test campaigns while minimizing down time in a safe working environment is a primary objective for the GSE Manager.
This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail, is organized, has excellent people skills, and can adapt to shifting test objectives. This is a full-time position at our rocket propulsion test facility in beautiful Mojave, California.
- Lead a team of engineers and technicians to maintain and upgrade 1st and 2nd Stage rocket test stand supporting equipment
- Assure accurate technical approach for execution of all test stand modifications and upgrades
- Coordinate with the Test Site Manager and Test Operations Manager to complete preventative maintenance and test stand modifications without impacting the Program Master Schedule
- Clearly and concisely communicate work schedule, status, and completions to the Director of Test Operations, Test Operations Manager, and Test Site Manager
- Assure safe test site operations in conjunction with Virgin Orbit Safety Officers to ensure personnel safety
- Coordinate emergency response with Mojave support in the event of an emergency
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Physics
- 8 years of experience managing, upgrading, designing, or maintaining aerospace or industrial equipment
- 5 years of experience working with high pressure fluid systems
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and being able to maneuver in tight spaces
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Management of propulsion ground test and launch experience
- Management of high performance teams including engineers, production technicians and flight operations personnel experience
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Ability to thrive as a ‘one person team’
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s better to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.