At Virgin Orbit, we launch the small satellite revolution, accessing space for missions that were previously unimaginable and fostering new ideas and technologies to create a truly spacefaring civilization. We deliver Virgin’s legendary customer service by pairing technological advancements with a clear focus on our customers’ needs. We build a workplace and a workforce for the future, knowing that our decisions and investments of today will launch the industries of tomorrow. We engage a diverse and inclusive community of dreamers and achievers in a shared mission to access space to improve life on Earth.
At Virgin Orbit, we boost imagination
Virgin Orbit (VO) is seeking a new member for our team to serve as a Production Manager for Integration and Avionics production. If you join us in this position you will be leading the teams that build and test avionics hardware and perform all final integration and test work on Launcher One. You should have a thorough understanding of lean manufacturing and other process improvement tools, as well as prior experience manufacturing composite structures. This role is for a hands-on person with great attention to detail and excellent people skills. This is a full-time position at our rocket factory in beautiful Long Beach, California.
- Develop and maintain the culture of safety, quality and high output that is consistent with the high standards of Virgin Orbit
- Measure, report on, and utilize key metrics (safety, quality, schedule, efficiency, utilization) to improve
- Create and maintain production schedules, identify risks, roadblocks, and work to resolve them
- Own safety on the shop floor including developing policies associated with work practices and PPE
- Organize appropriate training to ensure skills are in line with work required
- Work with Manufacturing Engineering to ensure that facility layouts are optimized for process efficiency and include human factors such as safety and ergonomics
- Ensure the production team follows best practices using standardized work instructions
- Set goals and objectives for team members for the achievement of operational results. Implement methods to monitor progress and identify risks or roadblocks preventing success
- Aggressively drive and implement process improvements with a cross-functional approach to reduce cost and achieve quality and rate targets
- Hire, train and lead team members. Be willing to lead by example and jump in to help when required
- Help Virgin Orbit do our part to make the world a better place
- Constantly learn new things—and share them with your team members
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
If you want to join us, you’d better have all of these…
- Associate’s degree or equivalent experience in aerospace, aviation or automotive manufacturing
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a manufacturing leadership role is required. This should include direct supervision of staff.
- Experience in one of the following manufacturing environments: electro-mechanical assembly, electrical/propulsion/pneumatic systems integration, aviation or aerospace hardware assembly or integration
- Experienced with electronic Manufacturing Execution Systems for work orders and shop floor execution
- Demonstrated experience with practical implementation of lean principles in manufacturing
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a fast-paced, rapidly changing work environment
- Driven, highly motivated, and committed to improvement
- Ability to add something unique and positive to our team
- Generally high level of all-around awesomeness
- Must be able to work all shifts and available for overtime as well as weekends when needed
- Must be able to stand for extended periods – 8 hours minimum
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 25lbs (unassisted)
… and you should probably have a bunch of these, too.
- Professional certifications in project management, supply chain, quality, and/or lean manufacturing are preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or engineering technology is preferred
- Experience transitioning production processes and teams from development to full scale production
- Experience with manufacturing of composite structures is a plus
- Passion for space exploration and a firm belief in the utility of affordable access to space
- Experience with Siemens NX / TeamCenter and Oracle is a plus
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Our idea of a happy life: build rockets, work with brilliant people, serve purposeful customers, and open access to space. Sir Richard Branson’s belief is “If you get the perfect mix of people working for your company, you have a far greater chance of success.” From the very start, we have placed top priority on growing and fostering a team of creative, diverse, and talented women and men. In the words of Sir Richard Branson “We believe it’s etter to have a hole in your team than an asshole in your team!”
Virgin Orbit is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Orbit is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.