Become A Part Of The World’s First Commercial Spaceline Virgin Galactic is comprised of hundreds of dedicated and passionate professionals united in creating something new and lasting: the world’s first commercial spaceline. A spaceline for Earth. We are here because we believe we are at the vanguard of a new space industry that is defining the future of exploration and that we will ultimately make space accessible to more people and for more purposes than ever before. We realize that our undertaking is both audacious and incredibly ambitious. We know that achieving our mission will require highly unusual levels of tenacity and dedication. If you share our passion for this mission, we welcome you to explore the positions we have available.
Who we are
Virgin Galactic is on track to become the world’s first commercial spaceline. Its vision is to democratise space by offering the transformational gift of spaceflight to the thousands of people who dream of experiencing space for themselves. The company builds and operates a new generation of reusable spacecraft from its US home at Spaceport America, New Mexico.
If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for bespoke customer service, if you are excited at being an integral part of our incredible Astronaut Office, if you are inspired by creating history as we create a new market for space then this might just be the opportunity you have been waiting for.
Virgin Galactic is currently looking for an Astronaut Relations Director who will report directly to Head of Astronaut Office and be based at our London office. The Astronaut Relations Director is responsible for providing the key interface between the Virgin Galactic brand, its messaging and our customers – a diverse and global community of Future Astronauts.
The Astronaut Office exists to look after a unique community of Future Astronaut customers who have paid significant deposits up-front to travel to space with Virgin Galactic. The Astronaut Office is responsible for engaging and informing those customers, engendering and building a strong sense of community. It works to maintain excitement in the project as the company makes the final preparations for the start of commercial spaceflight operations. In some ways, the team is responsible for managing the most exclusive club in the world.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Look strategically at engagement opportunities for the community, in line with the key activation areas and recognising the Future Astronauts’ shared interests and global dispersion.
- Apply creativity to an event timetable, proactively seeking out ways to add value to our Future Astronaut community experience by maximising event attendance, thus driving engagement.
- Together with the Astronaut Experience Manager, arrange and deliver all scheduled and ad hoc Future Astronaut events, ranging in scope, size and location.
- Demonstrate exemplary written communication skills, with copy writing experience gained while working for brands which share tone-of-voice characteristics with Virgin.
- Draft regular communications to our Future Astronauts for review and approval at senior level.
- Rapidly learn and absorb product and project details; whether historic, current or forecast.
- Continuously identify opportunities to gather and present relevant and engaging content on a variety of topics.
- Regularly contribute to creation and distribution plans for a multi-channel content strategy.
- Work closely with the CRM team to display, format and distribute content in a relevant, tailored and engaging way.
Key Customer Interface:
- Build and nurture customer relationships; provide personal, high touch references delivered in the Virgin Galactic communication style.
- Be our first point of call for customer care, consistently responding to all enquiries within a timely manner whilst demonstrating that great Virgin value of heartfelt service.
- Maintain a strong understanding of the varied motivations and interests within the Future Astronaut community and seek out innovative ways to engage through a calendar of events.
- Provide a bespoke onboarding experience to new Future Astronauts, ensuring their smooth transition to the Community.
- Lead on designing and delivering strategies to manage different engagement levels within the Future Astronaut community.
Customer Data Management:
- Work closely with the CRM team to ensure a consistent and joined up CRM strategy, supporting both internal processes and the experience for Future Astronauts.
- Ensure Future Astronaut Salesforce records are consistently kept up to date, particularly following any engagement activities.
- As a voice of the customer, provide input to key customer touchpoints such as flight suits, wings, missions patches and other customer experience elements.
- Support the team on Astronaut readiness plans and rollout, as we start to prepare Future Astronauts for flight.
- Input to strategic plans to evolve the Future Astronaut community and build on the foundations we have in place for the future.
- Support the development of the Alumni community, which our customers will join as newly flown Astronauts, to continue their journey and experience with Virgin Galactic.
What you bring
- educated to Bachelors Degree level;
- experience in at least two previous senior roles with exposure to senior management and customers;
- creative and resourceful in customer engagement management;
- proven event management – from conception to delivery to reconciliation;
- exemplary written communication skills;
- previous high net worth customer relations experience;
- ability to undertake international travel;
- willing to work outside normal office hours (our customers come from more than 50 countries);
- excellent eye for detail and lover of logistics
- flexible with the ability to multitask and drive progress;
- relish being the point of contact for numerous projects involving multiple stakeholders;
- sociable with strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- proactive intuitive and able to work under pressure with minimal supervision; strong organisational and time management skills;
- Experience of Salesforce CRM
Virgin Galactic and the greater Virgin organization have a relaxed and informal culture which encourages individuality and innovation in the pursuit of delivery and success. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Our company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.