Virgin Galactic, recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet, lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites us than divides us. “We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.” Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
Virgin Galactic is seeking a goal-oriented Landing Gear Specialist Engineer. The primary tasks of this person will be to coordinate, develop, design and qualify integrated mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, braking, steering, and tire systems pertaining to landing gear, to enhance and improve the spaceship, carrier vehicle, and new spaceship and carrier vehicle products. Knowledge of the design life cycle process from requirements definition to system qualification is required. Demonstrated proficiency in CATIA V5 or equivalent is required.
- Knowledge of landing gear, steering, and braking systems, integration, engineering design, the drawing release process, and subsystems/component qualification
- Develops and refines system level requirements for vehicle systems based on customer and derived requirements. Knowledge and experience with FAR Part 23 and 25 requirements is a plus even though our programs are not held to these standards.
- Ability to evaluate flight test and component qualification data for verification and validation purposes and to identify further testing or development/re-design work
- Reviews, updates, and compiles engineering definition of aircraft system components and assemblies based on records from the current vehicle designs
- Supports review of manufacturing plans and procedures to ensure compliance with design requirements
- Supports the creation of system test plans which will be used to verify the design meets requirements
- Confers with management, engineering, and other staff regarding manufacturing capabilities, production schedules, and other considerations to facilitate production processes
- Ability to accurately estimate engineering work scope based on relevant previous experiences
- Working knowledge and experience integrating various landing gear and related systems into aircraft
- Experience managing key supplier and/or outsourcing of large design projects as appropriate with company objectives
What you bring
- B.S. degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, or similar engineering discipline is required
- At least 8 years of relevant industry experience
- Experience with CATIA V5 strongly preferred. SOLIDWORKS or equivalent will be considered in lieu of CATIA.
- Experience in aircraft landing gear systems design, (mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic) assembly and test processes
- Develop and maintain kinematic models of landing gear and sub systems to evaluate gear deployment and retraction
- Develop and modify servicing specifications for shock absorbers to achieve desired landing gear performance
- Experienced design (broad based aircraft experience) with knowledge of design manufacturing tolerances for production of components using GD&T
- Experience with Product Lifecycle Management tools (PLM software), Requirements management tools, project management, and configuration management
- Excellent verbal and written communication, excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Matlab
- Knowledge and experience with AS9100 a plus
- Experience with the design of flight vehicles or vehicle systems to a set of requirements or standards such as 14 CFR, Part 23, Part 25, Part 400, DO-160, military (MIL-STD-810) or NASA are highly desired
- Experience with manufacturing based ERP systems a plus
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
- Strong team player and ability to work independently with excellent organizational and problem-solving skills
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.