Virgin Galactic, recognizes that the answers to many of the challenges we face in sustaining life on our beautiful but fragile planet, lie in making better use of space. Sending people to space has not only expanded our understanding of science, but taught us amazing things about human ingenuity, physiology and psychology. From space, we are able to look with a new perspective both outward and back. From space, the borders that are fought over on Earth are arbitrary lines. From space, it is clear that there is much more that unites us than divides us. “We are at the vanguard of a new industry determined to pioneer twenty-first century spacecraft, which will open space to everybody — and change the world for good.” Sir Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Galactic If you are looking for a challenging opportunity that will ignite your passion for designing cool and innovative products, are exceptionally creative, are a great problem solver and can make things happen - apply today!
- Demonstrates an excellent safety behavior and attitude, follows regulatory practices and rules, recognizes and promotes hazard reporting and ensures effective safety reporting.
- Acts as an information conduit to bring safety issues to the attention of management and to deliver safety information to the staff, contractors and stakeholders.
- Builds and maintains excellent working relationships across the organization.
- Provides and articulates information regarding safety issues to all organizational levels.
- Investigates injuries and incidents.
- Analyzes data for trends related to injuries, hazards, events and occurrences.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory agencies, including OSHA, FAA, EPA, NTSB, and local municipalities.
- Serves as Emergency Response team member.
- Continually seeks opportunities to improve the knowledge and skill level of all levels of leadership to positively impact the safe operations of the business.
- Develops and implements effective safety programs to ensure that operations are fully compliant with Local, State, and Federal laws/regulations.
- Executes a comprehensive facility and operations inspection process to ensure continuous improvement while maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Facilitates required regulatory training and maintains all safety related record keeping.
- In conjunction with the Virgin Galactic Safety Team, develops proactive annual safety plans that provide solutions necessary to build and sustain a world‐class safety culture.
*The Employer retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
What you bring
- Detailed knowledge of, and experience working with, OSHA, EPA, FAA and local regulators
- Demonstrated ability to perform root cause analysis for injuries and incident/accident investigations.
- Experience in Human Factors as it applies to Aerospace Operations and Maintenance
- Experience with aerospace industry processes is highly desirable.
- Experience with aviation flight line processes is highly desirable
- Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to develop and deliver articulate presentations to groups of all sizes and levels.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to develop and maintain partnerships across functional areas.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule outside the normal business days and hours to support operations or special events.
- Ability to respond to serious emergency situations.
- Must be a “U.S. person” as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15)
- Bachelor’s Degree in a safety field is highly desired.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Certifications or similar within aerospace/aviation field is beneficial.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- 2+ years of safety experience.
- Experience with regulatory agency policies, procedures and programs.
- Experience with start-up programs (desired).
Physical and/or Additional Requirements
- Must be able to work flexible hours outside of normal business hours on occasion.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to stoop, bend, crawl, and maneuver in tight spaces.
- Physically able to handle items weighing up to 40 lbs. (unassisted).
To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by ITAR (22 CFR §120.15) or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State
Virgin Galactic is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with Virgin Galactic is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.