Data Services Team
Vortexa was founded to solve the immense information gap that exists in the energy industry. By using massive amounts of new satellite data and pioneering work in artificial intelligence, Vortexa creates an unprecedented view on the global seaborne energy flows in real-time, bringing transparency and efficiency to the energy markets and society as a whole.
Ingesting data from multiple external vastly different sources at hundreds of rich data points per second, moving terabytes of data while processing it in real-time, running complex and complicated prediction and forecasting AI models while coupling their output into a hybrid human-machine data refinement process and presenting the result through a nimble low-latency SaaS solution used by customers around the globe is no small feat of science and engineering. This processing requires a highly reliable, stable, fault-tolerant infrastructure that can withstand multiple and varied uses and abuses by data analysts, data scientists, industry experts, and the end-users.
The Data Services Team is responsible for the fabric, the foundation, the impressive Amazon AWS estate Vortexa uses to achieve its purpose. We use a wide variety of technologies like Java, Python, Jupyter, Apache Kafka, and AWS services like AWS MSK, EKS, RDS, Neptune, Athena, Airflow, and others.
You will be a key member of the small, globally distributed team, instrumental in assessing current technologies, re-defining stacks and implementing the infrastructure roadmap, ensuring 100% uptime, availability, and fault-tolerance of every component of the platform, optimising AWS costs, as well as helping other teams implement best practices in using key technologies. You will look after multiple mature CI/CD pipelines and ensure they grow and adapt to the infrastructure. Your customers would be data analysts, data scientists, and other engineers and industry experts from across the company.
- Striving to be more skilled than Google with Kubernetes
- An AWS power user and evangelist
- Familiar with Apache Kafka and Kafka Streams – deployment, monitoring, resiliency, fault- tolerance, cluster planning and operations, applications debugging
- Experienced with Elastic Search operations and usage
- Fluent in Terraform, bash scripting and can read some Go
- Familiar with cloud-native application design and deployment
- Not afraid of challenges and infrastructure troubleshooting
- A “can-do” person – “I’ve done my bit” has no place at Vortexa
Awesome If You:
- Are familiar with Airflow or other workflow orchestration tools
- Have some relevant AWS or Kafka certifications
- Can code in Java or other JVM languages like Kotlin
- Can write some good Python
- Understand data lakes like Parquet, Orc, Athena
- A vibrant company pushing ourselves and the technology to deliver beyond the cutting edge
- A team of motivated characters and top minds striving to be the best at what we do at all times
- Learning something new ourselves and help learn others every day
- Acting as company owners, which all of us are – in a business-savvy and responsible way
- Enjoying a friendly working environment
- Not only teammates but friends, often finishing the week enjoying a glass of a favourite drink together
- Offering generous salary and equity