Turn-Key Space Solutions
York Space Systems was founded to radically improve spacecraft affordability and reliability, transforming and enabling next-generation space mission operations worldwide. Today, York is one of the most innovative aerospace companies, specializing in end-to-end customer solutions and the rapid production of spacecraft platforms. York’s complete Space Segment Solution includes spacecraft production, payload integration, system integration & test, launch services, ground segment services, and mission operations, enabling customers to leverage York’s existing technology solutions and rapidly and responsively get to orbit. We’re looking to expand our team.
York Space Systems is looking for a talented Lead Mechanical Design Engineer that can turn complex design requirements into an affordable-to-produce and easy-to-assemble design for high-rate production using manufacturing best practices. We are seeking someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment and jumps at the chance to exercise their engineering skills, in addition to their CAD skills, to advance our design and industry. As a Lead Mechanical Design Engineer, you will drive the design and integration of spacecraft on strategic missions. Aerospace-specific experience is desired, but not a requirement.
- Engineer mechanical design solutions for both spacecraft flight hardware and mechanical ground support equipment (MGSE).
- Create designs with DFM/DFA and rate manufacturing in mind.
- Perform preliminary FEA, higher level hand calculations, and fastener margins to help ensure a feasible design.
- Create component drawings with appropriate GD&T that can be affordably produced.
- Develop assembly drawings, fabrication procedures, and build instructions working with the integration team.
- Coordinate with across engineering on clean-sheet designs and design improvements.
- Interface directly with programs and the end customer, both at a high level and in greater detail through design reviews, program reviews, and technical working sessions.
- Coordinate with test engineers to prepare and execute test plans as the ME responsible engineer while performing root cause analyses if/when errors arise.
- Interface with suppliers to produce designs and optimize designs for cost and lead time.
- Support peers through checking and collaboration to ensure best practices are implemented on all products developed within the team.
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related technical field.
- 7+ years of experience as a mechanical design engineer. 2+ years of experience leading and mentoring other mechanical design engineers in a technical capacity. Experience with space vehicle design and/or ground support equipment is preferred.
- Excellent understanding of what is needed for high-quality mechanical systems.
- Extensive experience with configuration control, the lifecycle of a design release, and PLM.
- Experience with materials, joints, bonding, and how these choices affect designs. A strong understanding of industry best practices and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Experience with manufacturing best practices for design tolerancing, fabrication methodologies, and assembly, ideally with hands-on experience.
- Excellent Solidworks CAD skills; experience with multiple software packages preferred.
- Experience with model-based definition and 3D PDF generation/checking.
- Demonstrates self-initiated work in a team environment with strong leadership skills.
- Bonus qualification is 2+ years experience in the life cycle of spacecraft (or similar) development: design, build, and test.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain U.S. security clearance.