Vital, On-Demand Delivery for the World
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
As Zipline’s Powertrain Engineering Lead, you will be responsible for the development of advanced batteries, power distribution, motor controls and motors that enable our zips to deliver in all conditions and safely fly home even with a fault. In this role, you’ll build, lead, and inspire a team, pushing the boundary of energy performance and reliability, leveraging your own area of expertise to drive technical and programmatic decisions key to Zipline’s success.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Grow and develop a world-class, cross-functional engineering team
- You will drive the team to design systems that are as elegantly simple and integrated as possible to enable our reliability and cost goals
- Lead trade studies, understanding competing design priorities, and providing direction and clarity for burning down risk.
- Plan the long-range schedule and roadmap for hardware development.
- Technical development in your own area of expertise, in an area of: power electronics, motor control, battery management, or battery development
- Make large tech bets, identifying opportunities to invest in future capabilities
- Communicate cross-functionally to ensure clarity of priorities, status, and risks
- Engage cross-functionally to ensure optimization of the entire power system and drivetrain
- Drive relationships with industry partners and supply chain teams to create a roadmap for Zipline’s powertrain
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Experience in powertrain hardware development for automotive, aerospace, or a similar high-reliability applications
- A passion and a track record recruiting and leading high-performance teams
- An area of specialization in power electronics, motor control, battery management, or battery development
- Passion for hardware development, and an interest in working quickly, efficiently, and hands-on
- Hands-on experience with powertrain testing, both at a component and system level
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!