We did our first fire test in Bathurst on 8 April 2017. The temperature fluctuated largely in the day and night. We came to site with warm clothes, but left with frozen body. That was a long but memorable time with colleagues. I would like to share a ‘short story’ in the work.
We used kerosene as fuel, which was pumped from fuel tank, a plastic bottle, into engine via hosing. When opening valve and starting pumps, the fuel sprayed into engine and mixed with oxidant successfully as per plan. However, after finishing fire test and shutting down pump, the fuel still sprayed and leaked onto ground, which meant a high risk of explosion. That was quite dangerous! The reason was that we forgot to install a solenoid valve to close the pipe! At that time, our testing location was too far away from any nearby warehouses to purchase suitable valves in time. Then, we figured out an alternative way to solve this issue. We hung up the feeding pipe to ensure that its highest point was higher than the fuel tank. Because of pressure difference, fuel flow was stopped shortly after shutting down fuels pumps. What a simple but effective idea!